Welcome to the Veterinary Accreditation Exotic Avian Diseases module.
This module consists of two sections that will prepare you to recognize two important diseases that poultry, pet and zoo birds share. First, you will learn some general information that pertains to avian influenza (AI) and exotic Newcastle disease (END). Then you will apply the introductory information to a scenario based on an exotic avian disease case that occurred in the United States.
Upon completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Realize the economic impact of an exotic avian disease outbreak
- Describe the hazards presented by less virulent forms of AI and Newcastle disease viruses
- Recognize the clinical signs associated with high pathogenicity avian influenza (HPAI) and END
- Apply basic biosecurity measures for these diseases
- Report a possible exotic avian disease and understand the investigative process
Completion of this module is estimated to take 60 minutes, but will vary depending on your familiarity with the diseases and information presented.