Welcome to the Preventing Disease Introduction and Spread Module.
As an accredited veterinarian, one of your many roles and responsibilities is to ensure disease is not introduced or spread among animal populations. Veterinarians providing education about zoonotic diseases is another important responsibility. This can include instituting biosecurity protocols, proper disinfection procedures, and wearing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) when working with animals. This module will review concepts that are essential to prevent and control the spread of infectious disease agents.
After completing this module, you will be able to:
- Describe disease prevention practices that limit exposure to animals and humans
- Select job-appropriate PPE to minimize zoonotic disease exposure and fomite spread
- Implement appropriate cleaning protocols and select effective disinfectants for different situations
- Implement basic biosecurity practices for veterinary clinics, animal shelters, and livestock facilities
- Access additional resources for infection control practices including appropriate PPE selection
Completion of this module is estimated to take 55 minutes but will vary with your familiarity of the material presented.